Acorn Education - Learning Support Educator (LSE)
- Post Date:5th Mar 2021
- Views 165
Do you have a passion for Education Transformation? Do you want to use your learning support skills to make a meaningful difference? Are you motivated, adaptable and resilient? Then we would love to hear from you!
More than twenty years after democracy, high performing schools in South African townships are the exception. Our aim is to change this landscape and support no-fee public schools in their journey to become excellent and provide the highest quality education to the most underserved communities.
In the role of Learning Support Educator, you will primarily be responsible to provide high quality intensive Learning Support throughout the schools with a focus on improving reading levels and numeracy attainment in the primary schools.
developing and monitoring their remedial strategies for our learners with barriers and to provide hands-on support to the School Based Support Teams. You will report to the Head of Education and receive ongoing training and mentoring in this role.
At Acorn Education, we aim to transform the lives of our learners and we do whatever it takes to make this dream a reality.
|A||Agile||Our agility allows us to adapt and respond to what is most important at a specific time to achieve our mission.|
|C||‘Can do’||Every member of our team is equipped with a “can do’ attitude – enabling us to reach our own high expectation and those of our schools, teachers and learners.|
|O||Optimistic||We believe that a grateful mindset leads to an optimistic and favourable view of life.|
|R||Resilient||Our journey will not be an easy one. We are committed to persevere despite challenges that may arise.|
|N||Nurture||Just like an acorn, if something is nurtured it has the potential to grow into something greater. We not only nurture our people but those who help our schools grow.|
The precise areas of responsibility for this post will be agreed based around your skills and the needs of the schools, but it is anticipated that you will be able to:
- Lead and pro-actively support the School Based Support Team of all our partner schools
- Work alongside teachers to identify appropriate support for learners aligned to the SIAS policy
- Support the development of individual learner support plans as a member of the SBST
- Share tools and expertise and offer support to teachers that teach learners with barriers
- Implement support techniques and strategies with rapid impact to improve learner outcomes in consultation with the School Principal and SBST
- Interpret a range of data sets
- collect and monitor learner data in order to measure progress and to inform practice & planning
- collaborate with Acorn Education’s data analyst to track data and improve early identification of learners with possible barriers
- Develop and roll-out literacy and numeracy assessments for learning support planning
- Interpret psychological reports
- Apply for and facilitate scribes for learners as required
- Apply for special concessions for learners as required
- Able to develop and upload learning support content to upload to the schools’ Learner Management System (Moodle) virtual learning support
- Embed a culture of “know every learner” in all Acorn Education partner schools
- Facilitate the improvement of academic results for learners with barriers that is aligned to the specific challenges and growth areas for the school
- Contribute to the development of a strong positive and inclusive school culture
Essential qualification and experience criteria
- Must be SACE registered, a qualified educator with an education degree
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an educator in a South African public school
- Must have prior experience serving on a School Based Support Team
- Must have solid knowledge of SIAS (policy on screening, identification, assessment and support) of learners with barriers
- Evidence of solid previous experience in learning support techniques and strategies with rapid impact
- Must be a South African national or possess a permanent resident permit
- Able to offer support in English and especially in Afrikaans. IsiXhosa will be an advantage.
- Willing to be trained in Phonographix (Read for Africa) reading and writing methodology
- Must have own transport
This is a contract post – salary bracket R20 000 to R25 000 per month
To apply please submit an updated CV to: email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.